EF6 "No ConnectionString" exception

From the Department of Grrrrrrrrr :rage:

So I'm minding my own business ... puttering around making no database-related changes and just being super-productive.

Hmmm ... I need to add that MummFuzzBrimProng field right now ...

Make the change to the model, save, compile, pop over into the Package Manager Console and run my usual ...

  • UDS to return the database to Stable state
  • AMP to recreate the Pending migration
  • UD to apply the changes

I get an exception!!!

Specify the '-Verbose' flag to view the SQL statements being applied to the target database.
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: No ConnectionString named [DefaultConnection] exists!
at III.Core.IIIConnectionStrings.FullName(String aConnectionName) in c:\Depot\III\Shared\Latest\Core\ConfigurationManager.cs:line 998
at ???.Data.ApplicationContext..ctor() in c:\Depot\???\???\Latest\Core\Data\Contexts\ApplicationContext.cs:line 36
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DbContextInfo.CreateInstance()
at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DbContextInfo..ctor(Type contextType, DbProviderInfo modelProviderInfo, AppConfig config, DbConnectionInfo connectionInfo, Func`1 resolver)
at System.Data.Entity.Migrations.DbMigrator..ctor(DbMigrationsConfiguration configuration, DbContext usersContext, DatabaseExistenceState existenceState, Boolean calledByCreateDatabase)
at System.Data.Entity.Migrations.DbMigrator..ctor(DbMigrationsConfiguration configuration)
at System.Data.Entity.Migrations.Design.ToolingFacade.BaseRunner.GetMigrator()
at System.Data.Entity.Migrations.Design.ToolingFacade.UpdateRunner.Run()
at System.AppDomain.DoCallBack(CrossAppDomainDelegate callBackDelegate)
at System.AppDomain.DoCallBack(CrossAppDomainDelegate callBackDelegate)
at System.Data.Entity.Migrations.Design.ToolingFacade.Run(BaseRunner runner)
at System.Data.Entity.Migrations.Design.ToolingFacade.Update(String targetMigration, Boolean force)
at System.Data.Entity.Migrations.UpdateDatabaseCommand.<>c__DisplayClass2.<.ctor>b__0()
at System.Data.Entity.Migrations.MigrationsDomainCommand.Execute(Action command)

No ConnectionString named [DefaultConnection] exists!

The last line was the kicker!!!

No ConnectionString??? Huh?!?!?!?!

As Scooby-Doo would say ... Ruh roh!!! :scream:

We've all said it plenty of times ... (wait for it) ...

I don't understand ... this was just working!!! WTF????

A look of panic, consternation, frustration, anger, denial, etc. ...

Makes you just want to second-guess career decisions made long ago, don't it? :wink:

Open a hole and pour down into it hours and hours you'll never get back...
There are days that I truly believe that this aphorism should be engraved on the inner eyelids of every aspiring software developer. Believe me ... I regret every time I forget this and have to déja vu it all over again! :smirk:

A smart developer - (a category in which I don't always qualify) - would have immediately just done what the first line of the error output recommended, namely, Specify the '-Verbose' flag to view the SQL statements being applied to the target database.

But nooooo ... that's just too simple ... no way I do something like that!!!

Instead I immediately presumed that I had done something wrong - (a case of too much Occam's Razor perhaps!) - and tried rewinding my work of ... oh, I don't know ... the last three days!!! ... trying to figure out what I broke.

Teeth-gnashing, hair-pulling, general discomfort all around ...
Long story just slightly shorter, my .SUO1 file became corrupted, resulting in the StartUp Project setting becoming ... un-set. :flushed:

When I finally added the -verbose option and re-ran the UD command, I got the same error (of course!) but preceded with:

Using StartUp project 'Domain'.
Using NuGet project 'Data'. 

After scouring the solution layout for about the 40th time I blurted out to no one in particular ... Hey! How come Web isn't the start-up project anymore??? ... and things started clunking into place in my pea-sized mind! A quick right-mouse select later and I was back in business.

Hindsight being 20/20, I'd like to think that if instead of spending a couple hours running down various dead-end rabbit holes, I would had just immediately re-run the command with the verbose option ... I just immediately may have immediately noticed 'Domain' instead of the usual 'Web'. Immediately!

But if I had, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to take the time to bore y'all with my latest failings and deny you a friendly little chuckle at all my pain! :wink:

Happy coding ...


  1. Solution User Options, from MSDN


The one thing you gotta know about me ...

The Sunny Pacific Northwest http://www.iii-eng.com
Comments powered by Disqus